Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'm Praying For You

Sometimes we use the words as a fall-back when we feel helpless . . . as a last resort way to offer comfort. But it can be a powerful act of kindness, especially if we follow through.

"I'm praying for you."

Recently, I blogged about a woman who emailed out of the blue to tell me that God has suddenly placed me on her heart and she was praying for me, although she didn't know why. I suspect she worried she would sound a bit silly - especially if there were no special needs in my life.

But what she didn't realize at the time was that she emailed me on a very crucial morning. You can read the whole story here.

Have you ever been praying and felt the Holy Spirit bring a specific person to mind with special emphasis? Have you called or emailed to tell that friend, "I'm praying for you."?

Let's add that idea to our arsenal of kind acts.

We can wait for someone to share a problem and then offer to pray.

But we can ALSO actively ask God to bring to mind someone He wants us to support through our prayers. With or without their knowing, we can do kingdom work through that kind act.

Please share your comments about times when the prayers of others supported you, or ways that you've prayed for friends!

Blessings,
Sharon

1 comment:

Mimi N said...

Sharon, I'm on our church's email prayer chain and when I can, I try and let the people know I'm actually praying for them. I am intentional about remembering thru the week who has had prayer requests and specifically tell them at church or when I see them that I'm praying for them and for whatever the situation is. I feel that only saying, "I'm praying for you" is very generic. I like to ask them, "how's your dad doing?", "how did court go last week?", "have you gotten your car fixed?", etc. I want them to know I've put thought into their prayer request.

On the other hand, it's so meaningful when someone sends me off an email telling me they're praying for me for a particular situation. For them to make it personal, means a great deal to me!

Blessings,
Mimi B
(can't wait to see you again next month! hope i can make it into your line at the MOA)