Friday, July 18, 2008

Praising Someone - Behind Their Back

We all know the horrible feeling of finding out someone has said something mean about us behind our back.

But there is an equally powerful joy in learning someone shared a kind report about us to others.

I just returned from the International Christian Retail Show - an exhausting experience. One day, I got a call. A store manager had stopped by my publisher's booth and raved about my books. They told him I was at the conference, and called me to arrange for me to meet him. I was so encouraged by his enthusiasm. But it also felt amazing to think of someone "talking behind my back" in such a terrific way. He made me look good to my publishers.

In Stepping Into Sunlight, Penny tells a store manager about a clerk that has done a terrific job. The manager and clerk are both startled, but it makes the clerk's day, and raises her in the eyes of her rather cranky manager.

It's so much easier to whine and complain about people. I confess I slip into it far too often. But I've been concentrating on finding opportunities to genuinely talk up someone I like or admire behind his or her back. They may never find out, but it does raise their esteem. And if they do hear about it, it just might make their day.

Can you think of someone you could speak well of behind their back?
We've discussed the power of a kind word, but let's try the power of a covert kind word and see what happens. :-)

Feel free to share your stories here.
Everyone who comments will be entered in a drawing for a free Penny's Project Notebook.

Blessings!
Sharon Hinck

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is amazing at the behind the back praise. I see him in action each time we get excellent service while out to eat. It always startles our server when he first asks for the manager but they come back later with such a smile :)

SmilingSally said...

I make it a habit to seek out the manager to praise restaurant employees behind their backs. We certainly get great service when we return.

Sharon Hinck said...

I tend to be shy in stores and restaurants, so seeking out a manager seems very brave to me. But it's such a great idea.

For those of us who are shy, a quick note to the employer about a wonderful employee would be another great option.