Thursday, July 24, 2008

Servanthood

Coming out of a movie theater after a family outing, my youngest daughter picked up something from the ground. I looked over, thinking she'd dropped something.

"What's that?" I asked.

She shrugged. "Something for me to throw away later."

Litter? She was picking up litter in a big old public parking lot?

When we got home, I sidled close to her and said, "Hey, thanks for doing that. But what made you think of it?"

She explained that on her recent mission trip, where she worked to clean and paint a community center, they discussed the issue of being a servant. It was easy during the parameters of the mission trip to think about giving their labor to others each day, but could be easy to forget about once they got home. My daughter didn't want to revert to the way most of us function - avoiding the dirty jobs. She wanted to bring the attitude of humble service into every day.

Cool, isn't it?

And other than this time when I caught her at it, it's the sort of quiet service that no one will ever see or praise or reward.

I once spent a week at a retreat center, and a nun who was also on the retreat wiped down the public restroom's sink and counter after getting ready in the morning. I never would have thought of doing that...leaving the space nicer than it was for the stranger who would use it next.

Can you think of other "invisible" acts of servanthood?

Remember, everyone who posts comments before August 1st will be entered in a drawing for a Penny's Project Notebook (to keep track of your small steps of kindness)

Blessings!
Sharon Hinck

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Oh! Let's all take a page from that Nun's book and wipe up the sinks in the bathrooms around our city (and beyond where this feedblitz goes!) Just think how it will unconsciously brighten the days of our fellow shoppers to be in a more pleasant environment... I've done it periodically feeling it harken back to my days on cleaning as a college student where I "learned to see dirt" without seeing it as invisible acts of servanthood - now I'll be motivated to do it more!

Jill said...

I must say it's almost as rewarding to see your child do something like that than to actually do it yourself.

I'm not sure if what I thought of counts as "serving" or as obsessive-compulsive disorder (ha ha), but I find myself straightening items on shelves at stores like Walmart...especially if I'm waiting in a long line. Keeps me occupied and from getting frustrated and hopefully makes someones job a little easier that day. :)

Nothing to write home about, but it's part of what Sharon's message is - every kindess makes the world a better place.

And hopefully it rubs off on our kids, too. :)

Jill
http://cwahm.com

Sharon Hinck said...

Jill I LOVE the idea that you leave store shelves nicer than you found them... and I'm sure the store staff appreciates it.

We sometimes forget that in those public arenas, there are PEOPLE who have to clean up, organize, etc.