Thursday, September 4, 2008

Day 4 - The Enemy

Jesus said, "Love your enemy, pray for those who persecute you."

A tall order when I get cranky even with those who are kind and delightful to me--like my family members and dear friends.

"Enemy" is a strange concept, too, because in my daily life of housework, family life, and writing, I don't run into a lot of people who directly oppose, attack, or persecute me. But if we broaden our understanding of "enemy" to those who seem to hinder things from going our way, then some one may come to mind.

Someone who nabs the good parking space, someone who jams up the customer service line with persistent arguments, the family member who makes us feel small with a barbed comment, the friend who blithely chats about a luxury vacation when we long for even a weekend getaway, a coworker who finagles their work onto our pile somehow.

Has someone come to mind?

Now - let's pray for that "enemy".... NO! Not the "teach them how wrong they are being" sort of prayer. Let's really dig deep and start thinking of the blessings we long for - love, fellowship, closeness to God, meaning and purpose . . . and let's ask for those on behalf of the "enemy." And while we're at it, a little confessing of our own selfish or harsh attitudes would be a good idea, too.

Still with me?

Okay, now let's ask God to inspire a small kind act we can do for the person that came to mind.
A genuine compliment (not to improve the relationship so WE feel better, but simply to bless them) or a word of praise to someone else about them. Or offering them our dessert. Or a handwritten note. OR, if there is an ongoing conflict about a parking spot, the way to roll up toothpaste, or the pile of work on the desk--how about giving ground--on purpose--as a gift of love?

I can't wait to hear what God stirs up today, as we practice improbable love. :-)

Blessings!
Sharon Hinck

1 comment:

Mimi N said...

Hi Sharon. I've come back to this post because I've been trying to put this day into action with a coworker. She different than most people so many of us haven't warmed up to her for one reason or another. I've always been polite to her, but nothing more. I decided that I was going to do more and have conversations with her like I would everyone else. She has certainly warmed up to me. Tonight she was joking around with me and at the end of the evening asked me if I could give her a ride home if our boss couldn't. I would've given her a ride before, but because of the last week or so working with her, my attitude changed, I would've been happy to give her a ride home.

Thank you so much for these encouragements. They all come to mind in different ways throughout my day. I wonder, what would Sharon ask of us today on Penny's Project?

Blessings in Christ,
Mimi B