Friday, September 5, 2008

Day 5 - A Cup of Cold Water


"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."-- Matthew 10:42

We clambered over boulders and pulled ourselves up the last part of the trail. My legs quivered from exhaustion. Sweat poured down the hot skin of my face as the sun seemed determined to press me back down the mountain.

"Want a drink?" My husband handed me his water bottle.

Water was never sweeter.

I had a bottle of my own in my backpack. I could have eventually dug it out. But the OFFER of a drink of water placed in my shaking hand was a gift that made that water feel even better than if I'd just provided it for myself.

Let's be literal today. Be alert to the people around you. If you have young children in your home, tearing around the back yard, hand them a tumbler of cool water as they come in the door. Make iced tea for your husband, or pour a favorite soda for your teen as he comes in the door from school, and hand it to him.

Anticipate a need and offer a simple refreshment.

Then let us know how it went!

Blessings!
Sharon Hinck

2 comments:

Amanda Kline said...

This is so great to see & I love that we have kindred spirits.

So I did this year long project about doing 5 simple, but intentional acts of kindness everyday. I called it the 5 Pennies Project.

Please check out my online journal/blog:

http://5penniesaday.blogspot.com/2011/10/5-pennies-day-200.html

Have a great day!

Sharon Hinck said...

Kindred spirits, indeed! Thanks for sharing your project, Amanda!!! What a blessing!