Saturday, September 6, 2008

Day 6 - Breaking Bread

Throughout Scripture, kindness and hospitality are often represented by a shared meal. Even when a widow in Zarapheth (I Kings 17) had only a tiny bit of oil and flour, she shared it with Elijah--and the oil and flour never ran out.

Can you share some food with some one today?

Once when I was experiencing deep discouragement about my ministry with a Christian arts group, a friend declared, "When the going gets tough, the tough get pie." And she took me out for a slice of comfort--her treat. I've never forgotten how loved and nurtured I felt by that act.

Bake a batch of cookies and bring some to a neighbor, a shut-in, a coworker, or a friend. Better yet, invite someone to supper. Keep it simple. A crockpot of simmering soup and a loaf of fresh-baked bread.

In this era of convenience foods, anyone can obtain an easy, quick meal. But a dish prepared by you and given in love is far more than just calories for the body. It's encouragement for the soul.

Blessings!
Sharon Hinck

2 comments:

Cara Putman said...

I love doing this. There is something special about taking a meal to someone or having them over for dessert. I've tried to change my perception - allowing myself to relax and enjoy even if it's not a big huge meal. Right now in my life, that's too much. But people don't expect everything I think is necessary :-)

Sharon Hinck said...

Exactly!
Just a loaf of bread can be a treat and a reminder to the recipient that we love them.