Monday, September 8, 2008

Day 8 - Slow Down

A few days ago, I was making bookstore visits, stopping in to let the store staff know about my upcoming release, Stepping Into Sunlight.

Store visits can feel a little like sales cold-calls. Not exactly the favorite activity for my an author with my personality type. Thankfully, I was treated warmly each place I stopped.

But a few of the staff that I met really listened when I told them about the book. Their eyes didn't follow each person strolling by. They didn't glance at their watch after ten seconds. They smiled, they nodded . . . they took a moment to slow down and give the gift of attention. It meant the world to me.

I've always been bad at giving that gift. When my kids were young, I had to clamp my mouth shut as they told long, out-of-breath, rambling stories. I was SO tempted to hurry them along, get them to the point. But the POINT was that they needed to be heard. They needed me to slow down, hit the pause button of my busy life, and listen.

Today when you feel like rushing past someone, stop instead. When you find yourself "uh-huhing" faster and faster, hoping to get them to wrap up their thoughts, try slowing down and really listening. When someone in your family interrupts you in the middle of something, offer them your full attention - generously.

Let's give someone the kindness of slowing down. Of hearing. Of acknowledging that they are delightful and we want to spend a little time with them.

Blessings!
Sharon Hinck

No comments: