Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day 9 - Speak a Blessing

When my children were young, I'd stand in the doorway and rest my hand on their head before they left for the school bus and pronounce a blessing. Not quite the same as a prayer - a blessing if a bit more of declaration. "May your day be filled with reminders of how much God loves you." "May you find ways to bring light to your friends today." "May He send His angels to protect you and guard your steps."

Often, I based those blessings on whatever scripture I'd read in my morning quiet time.

Recently, several friends spoke blessings over me.

One said in an email, "I just know that God isn't done with the issue that is on your heart. Don't give up. His answer is on the way." Part prayer for the situation, part declaration of hope, her words helped me.

Another said in a phone conversation, "It's been a season of loss and difficulty, but I believe a season of God's abundance is coming for you. Be strong and tenaciously cling to the truth that He will fulfill His purposes."

While this is a kindness that might be more appropriate for family and friends, I've also looked for ways to speak a blessing to others I encounter. To a lab technician at the medical clinic, I've said, "You are so good at making people feel at ease. I know you're going to be a comfort to many people in your work and make a lot of difference to others."

How about you? Anyone you could speak a blessing over today?

May the Lord bless you and keep you, and make His face shine on you today!

His, Sharon

No comments: